Monday, November 17, 2014

Rules by Cynthia Lord

Catherine is 12 and she would do anything to have a normal life. Her little brother, David, has autism and Catherine is stuck teaching him the ways of the world. She teaches him rules that range from don't pull your pants down in public to no toys in the fish tank. She feels like he controls her life and she can't do her own thing. When a new girl arrives next door, Catherine lets her hopes up, but the girl next door is really weirded out by David. Then when Catherine meets Jason a mute boy in a wheelchair that goes to David's same Occupational therapy they become close friends.  Catherine struggles to figure out what to do about David, but doesn't realize she needs to realize that David won't change and he loves him anyway.

I like this book because it was really interesting to learn about Autism and how people are effected by it. Catherine has a really interesting story. She struggles to figure out how she should deal with David and live her life. She realizes that though it might be impossible to stop being embarrassed about David, but that doesn't mean he should be a huge effect to her life. There is no bad content.

My favorite character was Catherine because she told the story in a very interesting way and I share some of her interests. It was cool to hear her frustration from her, not from anyone else. I also liked how she made rules and each chapter has a different rule for a title.

TBR:


  1. A Long Sleep
  2. The Summer Of Letting Go
  3. Eleanor and Park - Grace

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds really tough, but good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting. I have not heard of this book before

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like it has a pretty unique topic, I think that I will add it to my to be read list

    ReplyDelete
  4. sound like a book that I would read. it would be hard to have a little brother with autism. I think this book will open me up to a new genre, the more realistic books, instead of futuristic or fantasy. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a good book. I'll add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete