Monday, March 2, 2015

Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire: Week 1: SOL march 3

Elena lives in a starving Russian village. Then a train arrives full of possibility. It also arrives with an interesting girl named Cat. The train is stopped and the girls' lives collide. They meet an array of interesting characters consisting of the rest of Cat's family, on the way to go to a party with the Tsar, Baba Yaga: the witch of the woods, Dumb Doma (Doma mean house in Russian) Baba Yaga's house perched atop chicken legs.

I like this book but am on the fence of it. It was really interesting, but then had some boring stuff for a while so I am hoping the pace picks up. My favorite character is Baba Yaga, I think she is portrayed really well and I have grown to like her. This book Is written extremely well, it is by Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked.

TBR:

Divergent
Rest of that series (insurgent)
recommendations?
















5 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really weird book! I really like how you summarized it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brynn did a post about this book and both of your post were very similar, I definetly want to read this book because of both of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great. In terms of recommendations I have several. My recommendations are the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, The Miss Peregrines School for Peculiar Children series by Ransom Riggs, and last but not least The Outcasts of 19th Schulyer Place by E.L Koningsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard of this book before. If you want recommendations, I would suggest The Roar and The Whisper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete